Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What type of wood do I use to make my own Hollow Wood Stand up Paddleboards?

When I first began my journey of building Hollow Wooden Stand Up Paddleboards, I was not sure where to begin. I did a lot of research but it was unclear of what wood I should purchase and from where I would get it. Then I stumbled upon the answer; Western Red Cedar.

What is Western red cedar?

Western red cedar is an evergreen coniferous tree in the family Cupressaceae. It grows at low-to-mid elevations along the coast and in the web belt of the interior, where the climate is cool, mild and moist. The western red cedar is a large tree that can grow up to 60 meters tall when mature and 2.5 meters in diameter.

WRC is:

  1. Durable
  2. Dimensional stable 
  3. Light weight
  4. Low density
  5. Moderately Soft
  6. Strong
  7. Rot resistant
  8. Somewhat bug resistant
  9. Easily bonded with wood glue
  10. Easy to shape and sand
  11. Easy to cut with a hand saw
  12. Great looking
  13. Great smelling
I personally enjoy working with western red cedar. As I stated in the list, it has a very distinct aromatic smell to it, especially when it is cut. It is remarkably strong for how light it is. You can even soak long pieces in water for a few days or more and take them out and bend them slightly to shape.*note* I have not been able to bend the WRC a full 180, but I'm sure it can be done with the use of a steam box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blogroll

Be our Fan

Popular Topics